DONATE TO STAND FOR DEMOCRACY
From Myanmar to Hong Kong, from Venezuela to Russia, authoritarian leaders are cracking down on democracy and rights. No country alone has the leverage to oppose dictatorships and protect freedom. It’s time to dream bigger, it’s time for a “League of Democracies”: a coalition of major democracies working together to support freedom fighters, and ultimately safeguard freedoms and democracy.
For eight months, we have been working towards this idea, by organizing Fridays For Freedom protests in over 20 countries and by pushing politicians to take action! For eight months, protesters have shown up every week to ask world leaders to protect democracy and freedom fighters.
And now, we need you.
Three months from now, the biggest democratic powers on the planet will be meeting in the United Kingdom, at the G7 2021 summit. We are pushing them to create a League of Democracies there and then. This is urgent, and this is direly needed: only by standing as one can countries oppose authoritarianism.
To continue our work of mobilizing people and lobbying for freedom, we need your financial support!
ABOUT THIS CROWDFUNDING
Our 3-people-strong team has gone above and beyond to showcase international solidarity and ensure concrete change. Despite being in the midst of a pandemic, in the first quarter of 2021, we set up 30 local groups across the world, hosted virtual global protests with activists and participants from Hong Kong, Myanmar, Cuba, and Venezuela.
However, we need to raise funds to be able to continue working on this campaign, support our members in organising protests, ramp up our advocacy, host major international hackathons for democracy, and continue to put pressure on elected officials.
As a first step, we are working to raise $25,000:
- 50% will be used to cover advocacy costs, such as social media marketing, and the planning of a major international democracy hackathon to ensure that our scream for freedom reaches all corners of this planet!
- 40% will be used to boost our local organizing effort, such as secured organising tools for activists all across the world and material and support for local protests to increase the impact of our Fridays For Freedom protests.
- 11% will be used to support lobbying efforts, such as expert support to draft bills to be proposed to politicians in the G7 countries
Find here a detailed breakdown of the expenses. As soon as this target is reached, we will increase our ambition.
If you have any questions, we will be hosting two lives presenting the crowdfunding and budget. They will take place at 5 pm GMT on the 16th and 30th of March on all our social media.
MORE DETAILS ABOUT NOW! AND OUR FIGHT FOR FREEDOM
NOW! is the global movement pushing for humanity to work as One. Last summer, with the support and help of the incarcerated Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong, our movement launched the League of Democracies campaign. The aim: to push world leaders to form a “League of Democracies”: an international coalition of major democracies to coordinate responses and implement measures - such as economic sanctions - to support freedom fighters, and ultimately safeguard freedoms and democracy.
Shortly after its launch on July 1st, 2020, which coincided with the implementation of a draconian National Security Law in Hong Kong, our campaign went viral.
- In the span of a few weeks, Fridays For Freedom protests spanned the whole globe, happening in more than 40 cities on the ground and 4 million people digitally during the summer.
- From BBC to the New York Times and Vice, outlets all over the world covered our work.
- Consequently, politicians in Italy, the U.K., Taiwan, and the U.S. started supporting our demands, promising to push this through in their respective parliaments.
- You can read here all our recent achievements!
A LAST WORD
We hope that you will be able to support us: every $ € £ helps us in staying alive and fighting for freedom! As a movement thriving on members’ participation, we welcome all donors to join our community as members, to share ideas and help us create a more equal and peaceful world (you will receive all the info as soon as you donate);
For all donations above $250, you will receive a Fridays For Freedom package (consisting of a hat, a flag, and a little surprise)!
Don't hesitate to reach out for any questions at [email protected]
Thank you for reading. We hope that you will join us on this adventure!
Colombe Cahen-Salvador and Andrea Venzon