NOW! believes you have a fundamental right to privacy on the web, and we work to protect your security online. This policy applies to www.now.world different specific web properties (e.g. campaign sites) may use the same or have site-specific privacy and cookies policies. We will always seek your approval for other use of your data if your consent is not covered by this policy.
A. Privacy & Cookies
- Introductory Notes
- NOW! and data privacy
- The information that we collect about you
- The use of your information we collect
- Disclosure and international transfer of your information
- Retention and deletion of your information
- Your rights
- Security measures
- Contact us
- Changes to this policy
- NOW! cookies policy
- Types of cookies
- Cookies and personal information
- Blocking / deleting Cookies
- Use of Google Analytics
- Use of social networks sharing buttons and widgets
- Contact us
1. Introductory Notes
- This website privacy statement is designed to be published on NOW!’s website.
- This website privacy statement is designed to give general information, seeking to meet the requirements of the GDPR, to individuals whose personal data NOW! collects in their capacity as visitor to a NOW! website.
- This document is not designed to be addressed to NOW!’s employees or other staff members or other individuals who deal with NOW! (i.e. other than as casual website visitors) in their personal capacity.
2. NOW! and data privacy
NOW! and the national/regional/international NOW! organizations in the NOW! network (together: ‘NOW!’) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This privacy statement sets out the basis on which we will process any personal information that we may collect about you as a visitor to our website. We therefore ask you to read this privacy statement carefully.
The information that we collect about you
- We may collect and process the following information about you:
Information that you give us: This is information about you that you give to us by: (i) making use of our website and the options on our website (e.g. in the event you would sign a petition or make donation), (ii) subscribing to the receipt of updates by email, (iii) contacting us for information or help, by (iv) signing your name on a list of signatures, (v) by becoming a donor via other ways than the internet, or (vi) by participating in NOW! campaigns. It may include, for example, your name, address, email address and telephone number.
- Information that our website and other systems collect about you:
- If you visit our website third parties (Analytics) will collect some information about you and your visit, such as your browser type and version and the pages on our site that you visit. Analytics will not collect the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the internet. You can ask Google to provide an extraction of your data related to NOW! website.
- Our website may also download “cookies” to your device – this is described in our cookie statement (below)
- If you exchange emails, telephone conversations or other electronic communications (including comments on this website) with our employees and other staff members, our information technology systems will record details of those conversations, sometimes including their content.
- Information that third parties collect about you on our website by performing actions: This is information about you that you give to third parties (such as Facebook, Google and Twitter) by making use of the social network sharing buttons and widgets available on our website.
- Information that third parties collect about you on our website by browsing it: This is information about you recorded / tracked by third parties just by making use of the website itself, such as navigating from one page to another (this event will be tracked) or by viewing an embedded Facebook video (if you are logged in Facebook) .
The use of your information we collect
We may use your information for the following purposes:
- to make your actions known on our website and to third parties. For example, your name may appear together with your comments on our website. To inspire others to take action, we may also show your name and a summary of what you have just done on our website, for instance, if you sign a petition or make a donation. If you petition someone using our website – for example a government official or company CEO – then we may send your name and email address with your message to them;
- to send you updates and alerts by email, mail, instant messaging, push notifications or telephone.
We will only process your personal information as necessary for the purposes described above. In doing so, we will consider the balance between your privacy and our interest in processing and refrain from processing if your privacy interest overrides our legitimate interest.
[In exceptional circumstances we may also be required by law to disclose or otherwise process your personal information. We will tell you, when we ask you to provide information about yourself, if provision of the requested information is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or, on the other hand, if it is purely voluntary and there will be no implications if you decline to provide the information. If you are uncertain as to NOW!’s need for information that we request from you, please contact the NOW! representative asking for the information, or contact us (see below), with your query.]
Disclosure and international transfer of your information
We may disclose personal information about you where we have obtained your consent or where it is reasonably necessary for the various purposes set out above:
- to NOW! national/regional/international organisations which are based in the country you took action from in this website;
- to service providers who host our website or other information technology systems or otherwise hold or process your information on our behalf, under strict conditions of confidentiality and security;
- to judicial authorities or other public authorities, in case our legal or moral responsibility compels us to do so (e.g. if you express intent about performing a terrorist activity);
- or litigation counterparties, in any country or territory, although only if we are legally required to do so and have no satisfactory basis or prospect to challenge disclosure.
These disclosures may involve transferring your personal information overseas. If you are dealing with us within the European Economic Area, you should be aware that this may include transfers to countries outside the European Economic Area, which do not have similarly strict data privacy laws. In those cases, where we transfer personal data to our service providers, we will ensure that our arrangements with them are governed by data transfer agreements or mechanisms, designed to ensure that your personal information is protected (including, where appropriate, under an agreement on terms approved for this purpose by the European Commission).
Please contact us (see below) if you would like to know whether any such agreements are in place or, if so, to see a copy.
Retention and deletion of your information
NOW! intends to keep your personal information accurate and up-to-date. We will delete the information that we hold about you when we no longer need it.
We will retain your information for no longer than 2 years after our most recent communication with you, after which it will be deleted or anonymised, unless we have a legal obligation to retain it for a longer period. Contact us for more information.
You may have a right of access to the personal information that we hold about you, and to some related information, under data protection law.
- You can also require any inaccurate personal information to be corrected or deleted.
- You can object to our use of your personal information for direct marketing purposes at any time and you may have the right to object to our processing of some or all of your personal information (and require them to be deleted) in some other circumstances.
- In some circumstances, you may also have a “data portability” right to require us to transfer your personal data to you or to a new service provider (
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us as set out below. We are obliged to request proof of identity before access to your personal information is given.
If you would like us to remove your information from our mailing list, you can click the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email we sent to you or contact us as set out below.
You can also lodge a complaint about our processing of your personal information with the body regulating data protection in your country (details are available here).
We have implemented appropriate technical and organisational measures to secure personal data against loss or against any form of unlawful processing. Our donation pages are secured using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), a security protocol that provides communications privacy over the Internet in a way that is designed to prevent eavesdropping, tampering, or message forgery.
Only employees who require to access information about supporters and website visitors to perform their work are granted access to your personal data.
We welcome questions, comments and requests regarding this privacy statement and our processing of personal information.
Please contact us via mail:
Avenue Louise 54
or write to info [at] now.world
Changes to this policy
Any changes we make to this privacy statement in the future will be posted to our website and also available if you contact us as set out above.
Please check back frequently to see any changes.
Last updated: 1 January, 2020
3. NOW! cookies policy
We want to ensure that you enjoy browsing our website. In order to enhance your experience and collect information about your use of our site, we place “cookies” onto your computer.
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie:
- cookies allow our systems to recognise the user’s device and make any presettings immediately available
- as soon as a user accesses the platform, a cookie is sent to the hard disk of the respective user’s computer
Cookies are useful because they:
- allow a website to recognise a user’s device and to target the content displayed to the user’s interests
- help us to improve our website
- offer you a better service more tailored to your requirements
- enable us to recognise your device when you return to our website
- store information about your favourite activities on the website, thereby allowing us to tailor our website to your individual interests. This may, for example, include advertising according to your personal interests and accelerate the rate at which we can deal with your queries
By using our website you agree that, unless you have set your computer’s browser to reject them, we can place the types of cookies set out below on your device and use that data in accordance with this policy.
You can find more information about cookies at: www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu, for a video about cookies check www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBR-xtJVq7E.
Types of cookies
A cookie is a small text file that’s stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Whenever a browser requests an object from the same website or domain in the future, the browser (if you allow) will send the same small text file back to the origin server.
We use (or will use) cookies to:
- Remember your preferences
- Tailor our website to your interests, proposing content that may be relevant to you, based on past interactions
There are different types of cookies
First party cookies
There are two broad types of cookies – ‘first party cookies’ and ‘third party cookies’:
- First party cookies are cookies that are served directly by the website operator to your computer, and are often used to recognise your computer when it revisits that site and to remember your preferences as you browse the site. Basically, these are our cookies.
- Third party cookies are served by a service provider on behalf of the website operator, and can be used by the service provider to recognise your computer when you visit other websites. Third party cookies are most commonly used for website analytics or advertising purposes.
This table explains the cookies that may be placed on your machine while using this website and why.
This cookie expires 1 year from set/update
Used by NOW! to store the logged in state of users who have an account in our website
This cookie expires when you close your browser
Used by Google Analytics to distinguish users
This cookie expires 2 years from set/update
Used by Google Analytics to distinguish users
This cookie expires 24 hours from set/update
Used by Google Analytics (via Google Tag Manager) to throttle request rate
This cookie expires 1 minute from set/update
Used by Google Analytics to retrieve a Client ID from AMP Client ID service.
Other possible values indicate opt-out, inflight request or an error retrieving a Client ID from AMP Client ID service.
This cookie expires between 30 seconds and one year (depending on whether it is being used) from set/update
Used by Google Analytics to link user ID to campaign related information.
For example, if Google Analytics and AdWords accounts are linked, AdWords website conversion tags will read this cookie unless you opt-out.
This cookie expires 90 days from set/update
The cookie is updated every time data is sent to Google Analytics.
This cookie expires 2 years from set/update
Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate.
This cookie expires 10 minutes from set/update
The cookie is updated every time data is sent to Google Analytics.
This cookie expires 30 minutes from set/update
This cookie expires 6 months from set/update
Used by Google Analytics to store visitor-level custom variable data. This cookie is created when a developer uses the _setCustomVar method with a visitor level custom variable.
This cookie was also used for the deprecated _setVar method. The cookie is updated every time data is sent to Google Analytics.
This cookie expires 2 years from set/update
“Checkpoint” and “lp”
Used by Facebook to authenticate your identity on Facebook or Instagram
This cookie expires when you close your browser
NOW! does not govern the publication of third-party cookies. Please visit the relevant third parties’ website if you want to understand more about these cookies, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube.
If you only want to accept our own cookies but not the cookies of our service providers and partners, select the “block third-party cookies” (or similar setting in your browser).
Cookies and personal information
Cookies do not contain any information that personally identifies you, but personal information that we store about you may be linked, by us, to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
Blocking / deleting Cookies
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies, manage previously accepted ones or delete existing ones on your device. Click your browser type below to go directly to the browser user guide to learn how to disable or erase cookies.
Blocking all cookies will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites.
Which cookies would you like to accept?
Please select the type of cookies you're willing to accept
These cookies are needed for you to move around the website and access its features. Without these cookies you cannot access the services you may have requested.
These cookies help to improve the NOW! website. We set cookies to collect anonymous data on things like how long a visitor stays on a certain page, or which links they click. This helps us to make better content for a better world.
Use of Google Analytics
NOW! uses Google Analytics to gather visitors’ use of our website and analyze the data to help us maintain and improve the design of our website. Google Analytics generates statistical and other information about website use by means of cookies, which are stored on users’ computers.
Should you not be willing to get the analytics cookies, please change you cookies settings above (‘change your cookies preferences’).
As mentioned before, Google Analytics cookies used in this website are _utma, _utmb, _utmc, _utmz, _ga and _gid – and they all collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, browser ClientID (to identify returning users, for example), where visitors come to the site from and the pages they visited. Here’s the privacy overview of Google Analytics, the Google Analytics Cookie Usage on Websites and here how to easily opt-out of Google Analytics cookies.
As of May 2018, Google Analytics introduced the Data Retention controls, giving organizations the ability to set the amount of time before user-level and event-level data stored by Google Analytics is automatically deleted from Analytics’ servers.
Such retention period applies to user-level and event-level data associated with cookies, user-identifiers (e.g. User-ID) and advertising identifiers (not applicable in NOW! websites anyway). For NOW!, the Data Retention control for Google Analytics is set to 26 months. Once again, Analytics will not collect the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the internet.
You can install the “Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on” to prevent information about your visits to our website being sent to Google Analytics.
Use of social networks sharing buttons and widgets
Beside the customized HTML buttons we installed to allow you to share NOW! content on Facebook and Twitter, we may embed widgets from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube and other social media on our website to provide an enhanced experience.
These social networking widgets come from web servers which may track your behaviour on our website and may combine this with other information about you originating from other websites. You can install a browser add-ons like “Privacy Badger” for Chrome or “Disconnect” for Chrome and Firefox to control some (the first) or disable them (the second).
This website is operated by NOW!. If you have any questions about our cookies or this cookies policy, please contact us at info [at] now.world
- Member Accounts
- User Contributions
- Content Standards
- Prohibited Uses
- We Are Not Responsible for User Contributions
- Enforcement of Terms
- Links to other Sites
- Intellectual Property
- Additional Provisions
- Your Comments and Concerns
There are sections of the NOW! site where you can update your personal information, adjust your communication and donation preferences, manage petitions, events, and other content you create.
To access some of these tools, we may ask you to provide certain registration details or other information including user account name and password. It is a condition of your use of the site that all the information you provide is correct, current, and complete, and you keep your password and account access secure.
For all donations you will specify the amount you would like to give and whether you would like to give an individual or recurring donation. You agree to use a valid and authorized payment method and agree to be charged the amount you specify using the payment method you select.
For election or referendum-related fundraisers, we can only accept donations from citizens or eligible voters of the relevant country. If you decide to donate to such a campaign, we may need to record and report your information to local election officials.
In order to help you make your voice heard and share ideas with others, this site may contain tools that allow you to post your original contributions on this site or elsewhere.
These tools may include online petitions, announcements, letter-writing tools, message boards, chat rooms, personal web pages or profiles, forums, bulletin boards, and other interactive features (“Interactive Services”) that allow you to post, submit, publish, display, or transmit to other users or other members of the public your content or materials (“User Contributions”).
We consider any User Contribution you post to the site to be non-confidential. The content you post belongs to you, and you grant us the right to display, reuse, and share it to further the mission of NOW!. In legal terms, by posting a User Contribution on the site, you confirm and warrant that you own or control all rights to that content and grant NOW! and its affiliates a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, copy, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, transmit, display, and distribute your content using any existing or future developed distribution methods or media.
You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for any User Contributions you submit or contribute, and you, not NOW!, have fully responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, accuracy, and appropriateness.
You are solely responsible for any content you post or actions you take via this site and their consequences.
All User Contributions must comply with these Content Standards and with all applicable national, regional, federal, state, local, and international laws and regulations. These Content Standards apply to any and all User Contributions and Interactive Services.
In addition, User Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is false, defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory, endangers NOW!’s broader mission, or is otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property rights of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive or mislead any person.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act.
- Be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, barter or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
- In any way that violates any applicable national, regional, federal, state, local, and international law or regulation.
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information or otherwise.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or reuse any material which does not comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any "junk mail," "chain letter," "spam," or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate NOW! or an NOW! employee, another user, or person or entity (including, without limitation, the use of email addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing), or to register to use the site on behalf of any group or entity.
- To harvest or collect email addresses or other personally identifiable information of users from this site by electronic or other means for any purpose.
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone's use or enjoyment of this site, or which, as determined by us, may harm NOW! or users of the site or expose them to liability.
- For any commercial purpose.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- Use this website in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or interfere with any other party's use of this website, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the site.
- Use any robot, spider or other automatic device, process or means to access the website for any purpose, including to monitor or copy any of the material on this site.
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the material on this website or for any other unauthorized purpose without our prior written consent.
- Use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of this website.
- Introduce any viruses, trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage or disrupt any parts of this website, the server on which the this is stored, or any server, computer or database connected to this website.
- Attack this website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of this website.
We Are Not Responsible for User Contributions
We cannot review everything that is posted by users in advance, so any content and/or opinions uploaded, expressed or submitted to the site, and all User Contributions, including, articles, responses to questions, and other content, other than the content officially provided by NOW!, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity submitting them and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of NOW!. We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials posted by you or any other user of this website and you agree to bear full responsibility for the content you post to the site. While we try to investigate all credible complaints about objectionable User Contributions, we cannot ensure individual responses or removal of such content.
Enforcement of Terms
Because the purpose of this website is to serve the NOW! mission on behalf of the NOW! community, in order to ensure that it is used only for its intended purpose and that no use of the site endangers NOW!’s broader mission, NOW! has the right to:
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any or no reason. This is a decision NOW! will strive to make fairly, but ultimately it is a decision that is solely up to NOW! to make. It will be our general practice, however, to consult with our members including through randomized polling to determine what user contributions our membership views as advancing our mission. At all points in this process we will welcome feedback from the community on how we make these decisions as it is the community’s ability to achieve our mission that we are here to serve. But in the end, NOW! has a legal obligation to ensure that all of our activities advance our mission and we therefore must reserve final judgment on upholding this requirement.
- Disclose your identity to any third party who claims that material posted by you violates their rights, including their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy. We will not do this lightly, but if we think it has the potential to facilitate a fair and just resolution of the dispute, or will protect NOW! from liability for which we are not responsible, we may take this step.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of this website when we determine law enforcement is the proper and appropriate means for addressing the offending use.
You waive and hold harmless NOW! from any claims resulting from any action taken by NOW! during or as a result of its investigations and from any actions taken as a consequence of investigations by either NOW! or law enforcement authorities.
Links to other Sites
As is typical online, this site and user posts may contain hyperlinks to other sites. If there are other websites and resources linked to on this site, either by NOW! or by you, these links are provided only for the convenience of our users. We have no control over the contents of those websites or resources, and therefore cannot accept responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to this site, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the privacy policies and terms and conditions of use for such websites.
Although we want you to use the tools provided on this site to improve our world, NOW! has to make sure that the NOW! name and other associated names are not used for the wrong purposes. For that and other reasons, the NOW! name, NOW! logo and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans are to be considered trademarks of NOW! or its affiliates or licensors. You may not use these names without the prior written permission of NOW!. All other names, brands, and marks that may appear on the site remain the property of their respective owners and appear here for identification purposes only.
If you believe that a User Contribution violates your copyright, you may notify us of your suspected copyright infringement. In accordance with applicable laws (e.g., the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)) , it is the policy of NOW! to terminate, in appropriate circumstances, the user accounts of users who are deemed to be repeat infringers.
All notices of copyright infringement claims should go to: info [at] now.world or can be sent via mail to:
Avenue Louise 54
No Guarantee of Service
Although we hope to make this site available at all times in the future, there may be times when we need to disable the site either temporarily or permanently. Please understand that we also reserve the right to withdraw or amend this website, and any service or material we provide on it. We may do this without notice at our sole discretion. Keep this in mind as NOW! will not be liable if all or any part of the website is unavailable at any time for any period of time. Also, from time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of the website, or the entire website, to users, including those who have a profile page.
Disclaimer of Warranties
You understand that we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant that files available for downloading from the internet or the website will be free of viruses or other destructive code. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for anti-virus protection and accuracy of data input and output, and for maintaining a means external to our site for any reconstruction of any lost data.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of the website or any services or items obtained through the website or to your downloading of any material posted on it, or on any website linked to it.
Your use of the website, its content and any services or items obtained through the website is at your own risk. The website, its content and any services or items obtained through the website are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis, without any warranties of any kind, either express or implied. Neither NOW! nor any person associated with NOW! makes any warranty or representation with respect to the completeness, security, reliability, quality, accuracy or availability of the website. Without limiting the foregoing, neither NOW! nor anyone associated with NOW! represents or warrants that the website, its content or any services or items obtained through the website will be accurate, reliable, error-free or uninterrupted, that defects will be corrected, that our site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or other harmful components or that the website or any services or items obtained through the website will otherwise meet your needs or expectations.
NOW! hereby disclaims all warranties of any kind, either express or implied, statutory or otherwise, including but not limited to any warranties of merchantability, non-infringement and fitness for particular purpose.
The foregoing does not affect any warranties which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
Limitation of Liability
In no event will NOW!, its affiliates or their licensors, service providers, employees, agents, officers or directors be liable for damages of any kind, under any legal theory, arising out of or in connection with your use, or inability to use, the website, any websites linked to it, any content on the website or such other websites or any services or items obtained through the website or such other websites, including any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential or punitive damages, including but not limited to, personal injury, pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of revenue, loss of profits, loss of business or anticipated savings, loss of use, loss of goodwill, loss of data, and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable.
The foregoing does not affect any liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
Waiver and Severability
Binding & Entire Agreement
Your Comments and Concerns
The best way to reach us with your feedback, comments, requests for technical support, and other communications to contact us via mail:
Avenue Louise 54
or write to info [at] now.world