Make sure youth Are In Charge of their education
Young people everywhere are exhausted, stressed out, and bored by their education.
Millions leave unprepared for the real-world, with multiple global surveys showing graduates are not prepared for a rapidly changing world of work.
This is not the fault of students or teachers, but this is the way our education systems are set up. We have an education system that does NOT design WITH OR FOR students’ needs, preferences, or desires.
In April 1990, the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) - the most widely ratified human rights treaty in history - made it a LEGAL RIGHT for young people to have a say in their education.
Article 11 and 12 state:
- "States parties should encourage the child to form a free view and should provide an environment that enables the child to exercise her or his right to be heard"
- "The views expressed by children may add relevant perspectives and experience and should be considered in decision-making, policymaking and preparation of laws and/or measures as well as their evaluation."
BUT this is rarely a reality. Young people’s human rights are clearly being violated and this must change.
What are we asking for?
- For every education ministry to have a youth council on education
- For new education policies to be systematically validated by young people prior to being implemented
- For youth councils to inform and lead solutions to challenges intensified by COVID-19, including but not limited to: widening systemic inequity and declining youth mental health
- For outside of school learning experiences to be recognized as an INTEGRAL part of education
United Nations Secretary General - António Guterres
UNESCO Assistant Director-General for Education - Stefania Giannini
National Education Ministries globally
This petition is an initiative of YouthXYouth, and is hosted by NOW! to support youth activism and help out new initiatives. For questions or feedback, please email the promoters of the petition at [email protected]